Unfortunately, when I got to the grocery store, with the intent of buying peaches, my dreams ended. They had no peaches!! This soon?
Still set on eating pie, I settled for a bag of frozen peaches and decided to add frozen berries to the mix.
yield: 6 individual pies or 1 large Prep time: 1 hour cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- ½ cup shortening
- 1-3 tablespoons cold water
- 1-2 cups frozen or fresh peaches
- 1 cup mixed frozen or fresh
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon
- corn starch
- Add flour and shortening in a mixing bowl and blend with a pastry blender until coarse crumbs. Add cold water very little at a time (I use teaspoons) and mix with a fork just until the mixture comes together. Do not add too much water or the dough will be tough. Knead together until smooth (30 seconds or so). Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- Put peaches and berries in a bowl. (I cut big peaches and strawberries in half) Add sugar and cornstarch and stir until fruit is evenly coated. Allow mixture to sit at room temperature for an hour (or until frozen fruit is defrosted).
- Roll out dough to fit into pie dish or according to pie maker instructions. No need to par-bake the dough, just fill with filling (top with dough if desired) and bake.