Because of the sugar cut, I am not eating bread, and sometimes that does make it hard to find good things for dinner. I came across this recipe for blt salad with sunny side up eggs in a cooking light magazine, so I gave it a try for dinner tonight. I made a few adjustments, and it was delicious!
The other change I made: half romaine, half spinach. Which wilted beautifully with the warm egg.
yield: 4 side servings, 2 main dish servings total time: 18 min
- 3 cups french or ciabatta bread, cut into 1" cubes (I omitted this)
- 4 cups torn romaine (I used half romaine half spinach)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 slices of bacon
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes (or one slicing tomato)
- 4 eggs (I only used two)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- (I added one carrot, celery, and green onion julienne. and 1 tbs cilantro).
- preheat broiler to high.
- arrange bread on a baking sheet. Broil 1 minute or until browned. (i skipped this step).
- Combine bread, lettuce, and oil; toss well.
- cook bacon in large, nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings; crumble bacon into lettuce (I cut it into 1" chunks).
- add tomatoes to drippings in pan (I cooked tomatoes and bacon on broiler pan). Cook 3 minutes or until soft; remove from pan.
- Gently break eggs into pan; cook 2 minutes (I just added a little oil to a fry pan since I did not use the pan to cook bacon). Cover; cook 1 minute or until desired doneness (I kept it runny as it became the dressing).
- top lettuce mixture with tomatoes and eggs, salt and pepper.
recipe from cooking light