I wanted to make a cake, since it was for a birthday, but I didn't want a traditional cake. That is when I stumbled upon the cranberry crumb cake from the hungry couple. It looked great, so I decided to go for it.
Yield: 10 slices Prep time: 30 min total time: 1 1/2 hours
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks butter (room temperature)
- 1 TBSP vanilla
- 1 TBSP orange zest
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream (I used plain yogurt)
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups cranberries
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Combine the ingredients for the crumb topping and set aside.
- To make the cake, cream the eggs and sugar together. Beat in the butter. Add the vanilla, orange zest and sour cream and continue mixing until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Place the cranberries to a small bowl and add a tablespoon of the flour mixture. Toss the berries in the flour to help prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the cake. Stir the flour mixture into the wet batter and mix. Add the cranberries
and stir just until combined.
- To assemble the cake, pour the cake batter into a buttered and floured spring-form pan or bundt pan. With your fingers, crumble the crumb topping evenly over the batter and bake for approximately 50 - 60 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before removing from the pan.
recipe courtesy of the hungry couple.